photo multirisque habitation
Bouton Request a quote

Building / household insurance

In France, insurers offer better protection than in other European countries. With building insurance, property owners in France protect the exterior of their property, whereby household insurance protects the entire household goods in the living space. Especially in this matter, a comparison of the leading insurers is decisive and will be taken over by us for you. It becomes cheaper whenever a combination of both insurances is agreed with the provider. In France, the combined “buildings and household goods” (“multirisques”) contracts offer the best coverage at the fairest prices.
We are in partnership with industry-leading European insurance groups: AXA, GENERALI, ALLIANZ…

Bouton Request a quote

What does “Multirisques” insurance in France contain?

The “multirisques” (combined building insurance or household insurance) offers significantly better protection in France than in other European countries. The standard catalogue of insured hazards such as fire, tap water, burglary/theft, storm, hail, etc. is fully insured anyway. The building glazing is automatically insured in the “multirisques” (combined building insurance or household insurance). The broken glass is also insured. This includes mirrors and ceramic plates.

In addition, “multirisques” (combined building insurance or household insurance) always includes home and landowner liability. In household insurance, on the other hand, private liability insurance is co-insured without contributions, provided that the policyholder has his main residence in France. Dog owner’s liability is also covered without contributions. Supplements are only required for breeds of dogs classified as dangerous. It is worth asking which breeds are considered dangerous in France.

Aggression in public space road can also be covered.

In addition, elementary hazards/nature and technological disasters are also insured in the “multirisques” (combined building insurance or household insurance). There are often no insurance options for this outside France!

This bundling of building insurance and household insurance in France has the advantage that the contributions are significantly cheaper than insuring each risk separately.

Roughly, it can be said that in the area of building insurance the entire house with its components and foundations is insured to THE VALUE of RECOVERY.

Insurance covers all things in the house that are not firmly connected to the building – such as furniture, clothing, books, appliances, etc. Here the “new for old” applies if subscribed.

In addition, there is compulsory automatic insurance or reinsurance in France in the form of the state’s ‘Fonds de Catastrophes Naturelles et Technologiques’. In addition, there is compulsory automatic insurance or reinsurance in France in the form of the state’s ‘Fonds de Catastrophes Naturelles et Technologiques’. In the event of exceptional damage events, the competent authority shall verify the eligibility. As a result of a decree, the fund assumes certain damages that can be regulated by your insurer with a statutory excess. Exceptional damage events can be: earthquakes, particularly severe storms or floods, etc.

How do you distinguish between building and household insurance?

In the event of damage, the building insurance shall replace the recovery value of all that is attributable to the building. Basically, you should make sure that you have the recovery value of your building correctly assessed or let a specialist assess it. Many confuse the recovery value with the purchase price. Especially in holiday regions, the high land prices are very important – these are not to be taken into account in the insurance sum. The correct sum of insurance should roughly reflect what it would cost to re-build the bare property in the same way and quality.
The household contents include almost everything that is in the insured property and is to be classified as a “movable thing”. These include technical equipment, furniture, clothing, jewelry and whatever else would be taken with you in the event of a move. In the case of household insurance, the replacement value is replaced. This is an important feature, because policyholders often consider your household goods to be old and therefore of little value. In case of damage, however, you will need to purchase the damaged items new and not used. In addition, care must be taken from the outset that all valuables were addressed before the conclusion of the contract. All items that exceed a certain value are considered valuables. In particular, this applies to jewelry, art and other items coveted by thieves. The limit here for some insurance companies is already 500 euros for jewelry and gemstones and 1 500 euros for valuables.

What are the main insured dangers of “multirisques”(combined building/ household insurance) insurance?

• Fire, explosion and lightning strike
• Water damage
• Storm and hail damage
• Surge damage
• Damage caused by natural forces,
• Earthquakes, floods, etc.
• Breakage Burglary, theft and robbery
• Liability insurance
• Elemental damage
• Landslide and Earth Subsidence
• as well as other cover costs – including costs incurred as a result of damage for clean-up work or alternative accommodation that becomes necessary

Why is the premium for holiday properties higher?

Holiday properties are often not used for months. The small damage that would normally be noticed quickly and repaired can become unnecessarily large damage.

How long is insurance valid in France?

The duration of French insurance contracts is always one year. The policy is then extended from year to year if not cancelled 1 month before the expiry date. It may be terminated at any time after the first year with a notice period of 33 days.

WHAT should be considered for “multirisques” (combined building/ household insurance)?

Some intermediaries make incorrect entries when calculating the offer in order to lure the customer with a “favorable” premium or to be able to undercut a competitor. In the event of damage, this can have a very detrimental effect, as the actual situation will certainly not escape the damage expert. And the small contribution savings will no longer pay off at the first claim.

In France, for example, holiday homes have the classification “résidence principale” or “résidence secondaire”.
In any case, you should pay attention to how comprehensive the insurance cover is and where restrictions are made due to the use of the house or apartment.

What better place not to insure yourself?

Banks are particularly tricky! Often a mortgage is only granted if the application for insurance is signed immediately. Then, in the amount of the mortgage or the estimated value, a usually completely inadequate building insurance is taken out. Household insurance is often completely overlooked. The bank mainly wants to cover its own risk through the policy. The scope of coverage and the amount of the sum are therefore usually based on the credit debt or the estimated value rather than on the actual values and needs of the insured. In addition, professional, expert support – especially in the event of damage – is hardly to be expected from the bank employee, as the insurance for the bank is only a side business. Banks may insist on taking out insurance to cover a mortgage, but this may be done with any insurance company registered in France. This insurance will then be entered by your bank as the first beneficiary in the event of damage in the insurance contract.

Insurance agents are more conscientious about this. However, the representatives are fixed on an insurer and cannot offer diversity.
Insurance brokers are obliged to offer their customers an overview of the possibilities. Only there can you receive objective insurance proposals.


• Fire, explosion and lightning strike
• Water damage
• Storm and hail damage
• Surge damage
• Damage caused by natural forces, earthquakes, floods, etc.
• Breakage Burglary, theft and robbery
• Liability insurance
• Aesthetic Restoration
• Elemental damage
• Landslide and Earth Subsidence
• Coverage of costs for clean-up work
• Alternative accommodation
• As well as other covers

At Proxidea insurance brokers, customers receive a Proxidea Service+. But what do we mean by that? It is quite simple, our customers are worth a lot to us and so we want to offer our customers more service through the standard service of insurance companies. Service for which none of our customers have to pay extra or have to conclude an extra contract – just our service for you.

• Selection of insurance policies from over 50 different insurance companies
• 24/7 Hotline – free – depending on the insurance company
• Personal advice to the customer on site (French Riviera) or on internet/phone/mail (France)
• Cost-benefit analysis of old insurance with optimization proposals
• Advice in English, German, Italian and, of course in French

How do I check and optimize my existing insurance policies?

Proxidea Insurance Brokers checks your existing insurance policies and creates comparison offers from various insurers such as AXA, GENERALI, Allianz and many more. With Internet, we are always close to you and will be happy to advise you personally.

Request your individual offer now by phone at: +33 493 428 666
or send us an e-mail:

You can also request à quote here.

We are also happy to discuss your existing policies and compare them with the newly created offers.